A qualified and experienced full-time live-in caregiver/home support worker is required immediately. The employer is a private household located in western Mississauga. The patient is an adult male quadriplegic who is highly intelligent and alert. The home is a detached dwelling with fully accessible and well-equipped facilities to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for both the caregiver and patient.
The ideal caregiver must be an individual with education and experience in caring for individuals with high medical needs, possess an excellent command of English, and be patient, understanding, kind and compassionate in his/her disposition. This person must be energetic, responsible, committed to provide the best possible care for the patient, dependable and reliable.
• Postsecondary training and education in nursing, personal support or other relevant subject.
• Proficiency in speaking, reading and writing English.
• Computer-literate: compile household inventory; prepare weekly report; play games with patient.
• At least two years of experience in delivering personal care and direct one-on-one services to patients with
severe brain injury and ensuing neurological conditions such as swallowing dysphasia.
• Experience in using a pivot disk for transferring patient from bed to wheelchair and vice versa; from chair to
exercise equipment and vice versa.
• Skilled in using various exercise equipment and computerized programs to facilitate rehabilitation.
• Personal skills: kind and compassionate; demonstrate patience; good time management; physically strong
and capable of lifting; outgoing personality.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitor the patient on an ongoing basis to detect changes in mood, behaviour in various activities, physical
well-being, response to various environments.
• Report to the employer in a timely manner if any changes in the patient are detected.
• Prepare nutritious and appropriate meals for the patient; Feed the patient according to meal schedule; clean
and tidy preparation and feeding areas afterward.
• Perform personal care duties: washing, grooming and daily hygiene care needs of the patient, eg. brushing
teeth and dressing appropriately.
• Perform a sponge-bath daily and a full shower twice weekly.
• Responsible for taking care of the patient’s colostomy bag, suprapubic catheter, gastro-jejunal tube etc.
• Administer medications and vitamins as prescribed to the patient on a timely basis.
• Safely transfer the patient intermittently on a daily basis, with the aid of a pivot disc, from bed, wheelchair,
exercise equipment and standing frame etc.
Household Tasks and Duties
• Schedule and perform laundry duties related to the patient’s clothing, bathroom and bedroom linen etc.
• Keep the patient’s living and dining area sanitary, tidy and welcoming.
• Take weekly inventory of stocks and supplies; submit report to employer for replacement and replenishment
• Keep the patient motivated and engaged by playing games and participating in stimulating activities.
• Work with all the patient’s computerized cognitive programs such as Test Twist story reading and others.
• Engage with the patient in various cognitive building games like scrabble, tic tac toe, and such.
• The caregiver will accompany the patient to all his rehabilitation programs outside of the home using
specially contracted transportation for the disabled.
• Responsible for working with the patient equipment such as a MOTOmed cycle, a standing frame gilder,
standing bars and a Web-Slide exercise rail.
• Engage and actively participate with the patient in various recommended out-door games.
Living and Working Conditions
• Accommodation is provided in the home (on site) at no additional cost.
• Daily meals are provided; laundry facilities and private, furnished bedroom.
• Full-time hours are between 30-42 hours per week.
• Rate of pay is $16.50 per hour (gross); payable every two weeks.
To Apply: Please send an e-mail with your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers